Thursday, January 6, 2011

Drinking Deeply


Years ago my scripture study reminded me of drinking from a fire hose. I would gorge myself reading on an irregular basis and while I was spiritually nourished I realized that it is harder to drink massive amounts of water and I would rather drink deeply by using a "drinking fountain."

With that in mind I changed my habits and started reading daily, with an unspecified amount or time in mind. That was a few years ago and I can honestly say I have only missed a few days since then.

I had the opportunity to study the scriptures for several hours today, which hasn't happened in awhile. At first it reminded me of a fire hose, but I honestly needed it and felt okay about it since I have been studying regularly. I picked up some amazing insights.

President Thomas S. Monson said: “Participate in daily scripture study. Crash courses are not nearly so effective as the day-to-day reading and application of the scriptures in our lives. Become acquainted with the lessons the scriptures teach. Study them as though they were speaking to you, for such is the truth.”

Through the words of the scriptures, we can come to know and love our Heavenly Father and the Savior Jesus Christ. We can read Their commandments and, as a result, learn to see the difference between right and wrong. We gain strength to resist the temptation to sin. We increase our desire to obey God’s laws (The Scriptures Teach and Testify of Jesus Christ", Ensign, Jan. 2011, 14–15).

I know the scriptures are true, especially The Book of Mormon. I know this because I have studied them and prayed about them. I am so grateful to have the word of God in my life to guide and direct me.

No comments:

Post a Comment