Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Must be important!

As with every Conference I am anxious to listen to or watch the Priesthood session as soon as it is available. This month I am teaching a lesson in Relief Society on President Monson's Priesthood address from April titled "Priesthood Power." In studying for that and just listening to President Monson's recent talk from the Priesthood session this past weekend I saw so many similarities. That being said, what our Prophet is telling us must be important!

The main similarity that I noticed was him talking about societies morals and our responsibility to be better in the world. He said, "We have come to the earth in troubled times. The moral compass of the masses has gradually shifted to an “almost anything goes” position.

I’ve lived long enough to have witnessed much of the metamorphosis of society’s morals. Where once the standards of the Church and the standards of society were mostly compatible, now there is a wide chasm between us, and it’s growing ever wider." I have been thinking about what I need to strengthen in my own life or what can help me withstand temptation. President Monson answers that point on by saying, "What will protect you from the sin and evil around you? I maintain that a strong testimony of our Savior and of His gospel will help see you through to safety. If you have not read the Book of Mormon, read it. I will not ask for a show of hands. If you do so prayerfully and with a sincere desire to know the truth, the Holy Ghost will manifest its truth to you. If it is true—and it is—then Joseph Smith was a prophet who saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. The Church is true. If you do not already have a testimony of these things, do that which is necessary to obtain one. It is essential for you to have your own testimony, for the testimonies of others will carry you only so far. Once obtained, a testimony needs to be kept vital and alive through obedience to the commandments of God and through regular prayer and scripture study. Attend church. You young men, attend seminary or institute if such is available to you."Since the text is not available yet from this last weekend I encourage you to watch or listen to his message that the Lord wants us to hear. Study it and you will see the similarities and realize the importance of the words of our Prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment