Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Unbroken Chain

Okay so if most of you have not been able to tell I have recently become obsessed with church history. Because of that interest I am taking a church history class in addition to a few others. In that class I thought of a talk President Hinckley gave a few years ago about not being the weak link in a chain. Part of that talk says...

"There was a dead tree I wished to pull. I fastened one end of a chain to the tractor and the other end to the tree. As the tractor began to move, the tree shook a little, and then the chain broke.

“I looked at that broken link and wondered how it could have given way. I went to the hardware store and bought a repair link. I put it together again, but it was an awkward and ugly connection. The chain was never, never the same.”(Gordon B. Hinckley, “Keep the Chain Unbroken,” in Brigham Young University 1999–2000 Speeches (2000), 108–9). President Hinckley's point in sharing that story with us was to illustrate that each of us is a link in a chain. If we break that chain things are never the same again, especially in regards to posterity.

I thought of this talk because I was thinking about Joseph Smith's heritage and the fact that there were quite a few strong "links" on the Smith side of the family. Asael Smith was Joseph's Grandfather and from his posterity there were 4 prophets! Look at this amazing pedigree from the Smith Family...

No comments:

Post a Comment