Thursday, October 7, 2010

"It did pierce them that did hear to the center"

Lately I have been feeling like the Nephites in 3rd Nephi 11 feel. Read the following verses and then I will expand...

3 And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn.
4 And it came to pass that again they heard the voice, and they understood it not.
5 And again the third time they did hear the voice, and did open their ears to hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound thereof; and they did look steadfastly towards heaven, from whence the sound came.
6 And behold, the third time they did understand the voice which they heard;

Sometimes I feel like my spiritual ears are not open!!! If the Nephites did not hear the voice until the 3rd time around, I wonder what I am missing out on. Sometimes I just get so frustrated in trying to get the spirit, discern it, and then follow the promptings. Recently I read in a conference talk that we cannot demand the spirit, which I feel like I am doing sometimes. I just wish I knew how to fine-tune this gift we have been given.

1 comment:

  1. I love this section of scripture. I understand the feelings of frusteration. Sometimes I wish that I could feel the spirit speak to me more, but I guess I have to work for it more. Part of my problem is making quiet time to ponder and reflect.

    ReplyDelete