Thursday, October 14, 2010

Joseph and Christ


For many years I have not liked the story of Joseph in the the Bible, specifically in Genesis. I think the reason being is the Hollywood glorified version drove me nuts!!! I am not a fan of Donny Osmond, so that may have influenced my thoughts. However, this week I read the story differently and saw how important it is.

I saw that Joseph is a foreshadowing of Christ. When Joseph was sold by his brothers he was treated badly just as Christ was. Yet, the part that really gets to me is when the brothers reunite. Joseph forgives them, but since they had NOT KNOWN their brother for many years they didn't believe they were forgiven. It illustrates to me that sin is a very heavy burden because Joseph's brothers were constantly feeling guilty for what they did to him.

As soon as the brothers find out their Father, Jacob, is dying they are worried about the revenge they think Joseph will inflict upon them for what they did to him. This clearly shows that they did NOT KNOW their brother and the love that Joseph had for them. This is illustrated in Gen 50:20..."20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive."

Do we or I really know Christ? Do I believe when I am forgiven of a sin? If we really know Christ we know that He loves us and doesn't seek revenge when we have done wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment