Friday, March 23, 2012

Speaker Palooza

This past Sunday I was able to go to a fireside by President Lynn Scoresby speaking on "The Spiritual Roots of Love." He shared a lot of amazing stuff, that I have really never thought about. This is turn made me very excited for the upcoming speaker palooza we all can participate in, that is Conference! I am so excited, it's only a week away!!!!!

In speaking about love he shared that Elder Holland said, "Character, Covenants, and Family are what we take with us when we leave this life." Love is a conscience choice not a condition. It is a covenant we keep with our soul and mind. I loved hearing this because a lot of guys I have been on dates with whom were divorced said that they simply "fell out of love." I don't believe that at all.

He also said Morality is a simple behavior that involves not hurting others or yourself. Anything that robs someone of their agency limits our ability to love. I liked these four things that he said were involved in love...

1-Make yourself venerable to the other person
2-Be more expressive in more forms of love
3-Sacrifice for the other person (and this should be pleasant)
4-Am I finding as much joy in making my significant other happy as I do in getting what I want?

I won't share every note I wrote down, but I loved having him as a teacher at BYU and he works as a Psychologist. If you are interested in finding out more about him here is his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment