Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Men of Faith

This morning I was reading in Alma 8 and 9 and was impressed by the faith of Alma and Amulek.  I was also grateful for their example of being in tune with the Spirit.  Doing the work of the Lord is not always easy, but the Lord knows the thoughts and intents of our heart; that is why I loved verse 14-15...

"And it came to pass that while he was journeying thither, being weighed down with sorrow, wading through much tribulation and anguish of soul, because of the wickedness of the people who were in the city of Ammonihah, it came to pass while Alma was thus weighed down with sorrow, behold an angel of the Lord appeared unto him, saying: Blessed art thou, Alma; therefore, lift up thy head and rejoice, for thou hast great cause to rejoice; for thou hast been faithful in keeping the commandments of God from the time which thou receivedst thy first message from him. Behold, I am he that delivered it unto you."

I love that the Lord is aware of our needs!  Alma was a faithful servant and followed the counsel of the angel immediately by returning to the city of Ammonihah.  Well the fact of the matter is he had been fasting for several days and was physically weak, although spiritually strong.  I love that Amulek was also in tune with the spirit as we read in verses 19-21.

"And as he entered the city he was an hungered, and he said to a man: Will ye give to an humble servant of God something to eat?  And the man said unto him: I am a Nephite, and I know that thou art a holy prophet of God, for thou art the man whom an angel said in a vision: Thou shalt receive. Therefore, go with me into my house and I will impart unto thee of my food; and I know that thou wilt be a blessing unto me and my house.  And it came to pass that the man received him into his house; and the man was called Amulek; and he brought forth bread and meat and set before Alma."

The best part of the whole story is not only was Alma obedient, and Amulek in tune, but then in chapter 9 they went into the city together to preach the word of God to a scary group of people.  Nothing is better than having a companion to help you through the struggles in life!  I am so grateful for their examples and have great cause to rejoice also.  I only hope that I can have a part of the faith that they had and strive to be in tune with the spirit everyday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment