Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Good and Evil



A few months ago a friend of mine posted something on her blog that really got me thinking. It talked about how people were generally good and not bad. She had quite the conversation with one of her friends about this and I have been thinking about this ever since.

Today I read a chapter in the book, "Teach Ye Diligently" and my thoughts were once again turned to good & evil plus trusting others. The chapter was titled "We are children of God." It covered points I have been thinking about for years!

He talked about the belief that other churches "aver that man is, by his very nature, inclined to be bad." I do not believe this and in fact Elder Packer said it was "false doctrine." He also said "If we are of His family, we have inherited the tendency to be good, not evil...The word God with one letter added, can be changed very quickly to good. The word devil, with one letter deleted, becomes evil."

Later in the chapter he also says, "If someone is not worthy of trust, it is his responsibility to show it-not mine to find out."

I cannot tell you how true these statements ring to me. I think people are good and don't have predispositions to be bad or evil even if they have sinned in the past. Trust is such and important characteristic in people and I believe that everyone should be trusted regardless. When someone tells you that you cannot do something in life, doesn't it make you want to try harder or prove them wrong? So I am glad I am surrounded by good, trustworthy people!

No comments:

Post a Comment