Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Look verses See


I noticed something I have never noticed before. First off has your Mom ever asked you to go grab something for her and when you get to were it is supposed to be you can't find it? You end up yelling back and forth, "Where is it, I can't see it? She says its next to the ..." Usually she ends up coming and finding it herself when it was right in front of your face the whole time!!!

That is exactly the principle I thought about when I read in 1 Nephi 11. An angel tells Nephi to LOOK several times and although he is looking he is not seeing. For example in verse 12 the angel tells him to look and Nephi looks towards the angel, when the angel had wanted him to see the Tree of Life or the Son of God. You should go look yourself in this chapter at how many times he is told to LOOK, particularly in verses 8-32. What does he see or where is Nephi looking? What should we be seeing?

In everyone of those "Look" verses everything is pointing to Christ!!! We, the angel, worldly things, etc... should not be the focus. We should not look to these things but should see Christ in all things. Cross reference that to John 16:13-14 were we are told we should not speak of yourself but glorify the Savior! When I think of my role as a teacher or friend, am I the focus or am I making myself disappear and glorifying HIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment