Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Importance of Scripture Study


Last week I was asked to speak in church. I could either speak on the Law of Chastity or the Importance of Scripture Study, Hum, NO BRAINER!!!

I found this great talk by Elder Bednar called "Because we have them before our eyes" that covered almost everything I was thinking about.

Why do we need to read our scriptures? To obtain knowledge of Jesus Christ, to draw closer to Him, and to become more like him. The scriptures also give us power and are essentially a voice recording as Elder Bednar puts it. So it is important to read so that we recognize His voice and can respond to promptings quicker!

I talked about keys to studying the scriptures. When I was in Elementary school one of my favorite teachers had a jar of keys. Every time we did something good we would be rewarded with a key. Once all the keys were gone we tried to open a treasure box with our collection of keys. Boy did I want the chest full of treasures and one time I had the magic key! My point is we all use different keys when we study the scriptures, figure out what works for you best! Elder Bednar suggested five keys...

1-Pray for Understanding, and invite the help of the Holy Ghost
2-Work
3-Be consistent
4-Ponder
5-Write down impressions, thoughts, and feelings

Since I don't want to give you my whole talk, I will just share one more thought I had. In regards to work I can remember my Dad taking me to our family's safety deposit box when I was younger. We had to go through a vault door and use multiple keys. The things in the box my parents had worked hard for most of their lives. We cannot expect scripture knowledge or hearing the voice of the Lord to come to us overnight. It may take years of hard work.

I am so grateful to have the scriptures in my life, I wouldn't be able to survive without them. I am glad I have some keys and am figuring out His voice, but I need more keys and more diligence over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment