Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Colorful Ward

When I first started attending my ward I thought, "What have I got myself into?" Yet with every ward I firmly believe that there is good and bad, normal people and weird people, and that Jesus Christ would love each person equally. That is how I have tried to view each member of my ward, even though I am not perfect and am constantly entertained by the things said on Fast Sunday. I remind myself weekly "How would the Savior treat or see this person? Or what is going on in their life?" Then one sunday during sacrament I read the talk "Remember This: Kindness Begins with Me" by Mary Cook. Boy did I feel guilty! Nonetheless I share my favorite part...

"A counselor in a bishopric recently shared an experience that teaches how important each neighbor is. While looking out over the congregation, he saw a child with a large box of crayons filled with a variety of different hues. As he looked at the many members of his ward, he was reminded that, like the crayons, they were very similar but each person was also very unique.

He remarked: “The shade they brought to the ward and the world was all their own. … They had their individual strengths and weaknesses, personal longings, private dreams. But together, they blended into a color wheel of spiritual unity. …

“Unity is a spiritual quality. It’s the sweet feelings of peace and purpose that come from belonging to a family. … It’s wanting the best for others as much as you want it for yourself. … It’s knowing that no one is out to harm you. [It means you will never be lonely.]”6

We build that unity and share our unique colors through benevolence: individual acts of kindness.Have you ever felt lonely? Do you notice those who are lonely, living in a black-and-white world? Young women, I’ve watched as you bring your unique color into the lives of others with your smiles, your kind words, or a note of encouragement."

How encouraging to think of each person as a crayon color! I love that analogy. I love all the colors of the rainbow, but I realize I can't be them all. Sometimes I like certain colors a little more then others, but every color is important and needed at some point in life. Thanks Sister Cook for helping me see things differently!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment