Thursday, July 12, 2012

Kid Lessons

I have been meaning to write for the last week or so, but it just has not come together.  Finally this entry feels right.  I have learned two great lessons in the last week, both from kids.

Last week I was inside reading and the doorbell rang. There was also a hurried knock on the door.  I wasn't ready for the day so I threw on my bathrobe and answered the door to discover my next door neighbor who was a little girl.  She was panicked and asked if she could go in the backyard and look for her bunny that had escaped through the fence.  I told her sure, go back there.  Less then 5 minutes later she came to the door and was crying and asked if I could help her look.  Since I wasn't dressed I told her I would look out the window and tell her if I saw it.  I instantly saw it in the neighbors backyard and told her out the window to run over there.

This was a great lesson for me.  Sometimes in life we think that we are searching in the right area and are very sure of our plans, but the Lord sees from a higher and all knowing vantage point.  They may be the same plans but we may just have to trust for awhile.  I was once this little girl, literally, our rabbits growing up escaped several times and I went looking where I thought they for sure were at.  If there is anything to be learned in this lesson it is we need to be in constant communication with the Lord so that we are guided by the Spirit.

Lesson number 2 came as I was at the Timpanogos Temple last night.  I was outside taking a picture of the temple while a family was next to me.  One of the little girls went up and touched the temple.  She said "Look, I'm touching the temple."  What a profound statement that was to me!  When we are not able to be in the temple are we letting it touch us in our lives?  Obviously we cannot be there all the time, but do I strive to be in holy places always?  I feel like I really try to have this as my goal and I loved knowing that these parents were teaching their kids about going to the temple someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment