Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cancer and the Gospel

Last month my family found out that my Mom has cancer. As far as the doctors could tell it wasn't too serious and they caught it early. As of yesterday when my Mom went in for surgery that is no longer the case. It is a lot more serious than everyone thought. Regardless of the details things are still hopeful with the gospel in our lives.

Elder Holland's talks have been especially helpful through this ordeal, but also with life in general. I love his talk entitled "Lessons from Liberty Jail." He talks about three lessons that we learn from Liberty Jail. They are: 1-Everyone Faces Trying Times 2-Even the Worthy will Suffer and 3- Remain Calm, Patient, Charitable and Forgiving. In my opinion this is a direct answer to all those people out there that ask "Why do bad things happen to good people?" You may want to read two other talks from Elder Holland from the April and October Conferences of this year. He is so amazing and gives you so much hope!
To top that off one of my favorite scriptures reads,
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." Alma 7:11-12









2 comments:

  1. Mindi,
    I am so sorry that your family has to go through this difficult time. I hope that your Mom can beat this. You and your family will be in my prayers. Thank you for posting that inspiring message and strengthening us during your trial. Let me know if you need anything. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your message. I remember hearing Elder Holland's talk last fall. It was just before my grandma passed away and when my dad was having so much trouble. I love hearing his talks too. He really does share words that bring so much comfort and peace! I'm here for you if you need to talk.

    ReplyDelete