Friday, December 31, 2010

Bearing One Another's Burdens

The other day when I was driving I saw two horses. At first I thought that one of the horses was biting the other one on his back, but then I realized that he was really scratching his back. I don't know why this touched me so much, but I thought that is how we all should be.

Why are we all so prone to be the "natural man" instead of spiritually minded? We are naturally a selfish people who look after our own needs. Why is it so hard for us to continually or consistently look after the needs of others? Many times we just need to be listened to.

A title in the January Ensign grabbed my attention. It is called "Carrying Others to the Pool of Bethesda." It specifically talks about meeting the needs of others just as the Savior does. 5 examples from the Savior that were talked about in the article were:
1. He looked for the one in need.
2. He listened without criticism.
3. He often gave anonymously.
4. He understood and acknowledged grief or disease.
5. He followed up with the sufferer.
I also liked the quote, "Finally, no tragedy happens in a vacuum. Every person experiencing a life-threatening disease, natural disaster, or grief has family members and friends who are directly affected. They too need help and healing."

My goal is to simply listen, call someone when I think of them, talk to someone at church or work who looks like they need a smile or hug. Everyone needs to know that they are thought of or cared for regardless of their circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment