Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pained No More


"My soul hath been redeemed from the gall of bitterness and bonds of iniquity. I was in the darkest abyss; but now I behold the marvelous light of God. My soul was racked with eternal torment; but I am snatched, and my soul is pained no more." Mosiah 27:29

This scripture has been a theme scripture for me recently. I was not in the same situation as Alma was, but I truly did feel like I was in the gall of bitterness. The best part is I feel "pained no more."

One of my favorite talks/article of all time is "Lessons From Liberty Jail" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. I love this part...

"In what sense could Liberty Jail be called a “temple,” and what does such a title tell us about God’s love and teachings, including where and when that love and those teachings are made manifest? In precisely this sense: that you can have sacred, revelatory, profoundly instructive experiences with the Lord in any situation you are in. Indeed, you can have sacred, revelatory, profoundly instructive experiences with the Lord in the worst settings, while enduring the most painful injustices, when facing the most insurmountable odds and opposition you have ever faced.

In one way or another, great or small, dramatic or incidental, every one of us is going to spend a little time in Liberty Jail—spiritually speaking. We will face things we do not want to face for reasons that may not be our fault."

Without going into detail, I experienced what Alma and Elder Holland talked about. I can honestly say I was in the worst circumstance thus far in my life and had the best experience. There has never been a time in my life I felt closer to my Savior. My situation was precisely sacred, revelatory, and profoundly instructive. I know without a doubt that Christ is intimately involved in the details of my life. From now on I will look at Doctrine and Covenants 121 and 122 in a whole new light!

No comments:

Post a Comment