Monday, November 22, 2010

A bad word, "#$?*%"


Has anyone ever called you something that you were hurt by? Maybe liar, gossiper, or fat. Maybe it was hurtful because it was true. I know I have experienced that. Recently I came across an example of this in the scriptures that I had never noticed before.

"21 ¶ From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
24 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." Matthew 16

Yep, did you see that? Christ called Peter "Satan!" I know it was not in anger or hatred, but simply because Peter was in the way of Christ fulfilling the Atonement for our Salvation. Think about that. Anything that stands in the way of our salvation is of Satan. Did you also notice that when things hold us up we loose our savour?

We are all on a path towards the atonement or our salvation made possible through Christ. Sometimes there are things or people who get in our way on that path. It might be a bad habit, a serious sin, a friend that doesn't uplift or a movie. The question is what, if anything is in your way? Anything good would be or should be behind you,pushing you towards good, DENYING THEMSELVES, hence the scripture "the first shall be last and the last shall be first."

1 comment: