Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Receiving the Holy Ghost


I have been thinking a lot about the Holy Ghost recently and how to have it more often in my life. I listened to Elder Bednar's talk from this last conference this morning and I was impressed by several things he said. Two parts that I want to share are:

"We more readily receive and recognize the Spirit of the Lord as we appropriately invite Him into our lives. We cannot compel, coerce, or command the Holy Ghost. Rather, we should invite Him into our lives with the same gentleness and tenderness by which He entreats us (see D&C 42:14)."

"Praying, studying, gathering, worshipping, serving, and obeying are not isolated and independent items on a lengthy gospel checklist of things to do. Rather, each of these righteous practices is an important element in an overarching spiritual quest to fulfill the mandate to receive the Holy Ghost. The commandments from God we obey and the inspired counsel from Church leaders we follow principally focus upon obtaining the companionship of the Spirit. Fundamentally, all gospel teachings and activities are centered on coming unto Christ by receiving the Holy Ghost in our lives."

I realized I have been doing opposite of both of these thoughts. I seem to command or want the spirit when I want it and was particularly touched that I needed to use that same gentleness to receive it. I was also overwhelmed by that lengthy checklist mentioned in the 2nd paragraph and thought "duh, each of these elements do connect." I just hadn't realized that they centered in the Holy Ghost. What a blessing to read these words EXACTLY when I needed them!!! I continue to be astonished and impressed with the Lord's love and attention for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment