Friday, November 12, 2010

Preparation


Recently I was in my Old Testament class (which is my favorite...wish I could bring all of you) I learned about something pretty cool. Our teacher said that if he had to pick the most important chapter in Exodus it would be chapter 19, not 20 like we all would think. Why chapter 19? Because it specifically talks about how we can prepare to meet God, ie prepare to be worthy or go to the temple.

There are 8 stages or steps that help us get there, hopefully you will understand me explaining them and not my knowledgeable teacher. Here are the 8 stages (with the verse right after the quotation):

1-"7¶ And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the Lord commanded him." Essentially we need to take the word of God seriously.

2-"8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the Lord hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the Lord." All that God commands we need to do!

3-"9 And the Lord said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee for ever. And Moses told the words of the people unto the Lord." The Prophet and the Lord's words are harmonious.

4-"10 ¶ And the Lord said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes," We need to be clean when we go to the temple (physically) and dress appropriately.

5-"12 And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death:" There are boundaries when it comes to attending the temple, hours and physical stake boundaries. Plus only those who are recommended can enter.

6-"14 ¶ And Moses went down from the mount unto the people, and sanctified the people; and they washed their clothes" Similar to #4 except this is being morally clean.

7-"15 And he said unto the people, Be ready against the third day: come not at your wives." This refers to bridling our passions.

8-"17 And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount." This refers to us going from the telestial to the terrestrial and eventually onto the celestial kingdoms (a little more confusing).

What is neat about this chapter is that Moses is a type of Christ and essentially leads the children of Israel from bondage to redemption and eventually consecration, just like the Savior! I know that these thoughts are anything but simple or milk, but I just had to share them, hopefully my next post will be a lot simpler!

1 comment:

  1. I keep hearing from you about this class...and I want to take it! I wish I was taking a religion class...wait...why can't I? I need to look into this...

    Mindi...I sure love you. I love reading your thoughts, hearing your thoughts, and seeing you share your thoughts (teaching). You are an amazing person whom I cherish greatly!

    ReplyDelete